Sunday, January 30, 2011

♥ Conventional Doggerel ♥


I memorize Michael’s and gobble up Gerber,
and feel I am getting somewhere,
Then Negative Doubles and New Minor Forcing,
Fill me with gloom and doom and despair.

Conventions, conventions, conventions all day,
I read till my eyes are in trouble,
And still when I’m asked I haven’t a clue,
What it means when I hear “Takeout Double.”

I’m  battered by Blackwood and so full of Splinters,
I feel I’ve been punched in the nose,
And given a quiz on that Lebensohl guy,
I haven’t a clue what “slow shows.”

So when my opponents stare back in pity,
While asking “what’s wrong with you?”
My eyes grow all misty, my lips go all twisty,
As I mumble “I bungled Weak Two.”

Though there’s a convention I love and obey,
Known as Unusual No Trump,
When I try to bid it the other guys yell,
“That’s not how its done, Mr. Gump.”

         I climbed a mountain named “25   Conventions”,
and looked down at the world from on high,
Then Pete told me “still, there are 25 more,”
And ran when I started to cry.

Though Pete’s a good teach I don’t understand,
When he claims that this game is all logical,
Deep in my heart I’m thoroughly convinced,
He’s just being all pedagogical.

Still I stand firm and seek to stay humble,
There’s no way my ego gets swollen,
I spoke with a nurse to halt my Reverse,
She told me “go clean out your Smolen.”

So day after day I play and I play,
And though it was never intentional,
I’m working and striving but barely surviving,
As my game grows incurably conventional.
                                                                     April 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment